Are You Struggling to Live in the Present Moment? Try This
How much time per day do you worry or ruminate? And how often do you live in the present moment? Learn the truth about yourself and how to focus on it now.
What Is Living In the Present Moment
Positive Psychology defines living in the present moment as:
“The present moment is the only thing where there is no time. It is the point between past and future. It is always there and it is the only point we can access in time. Everything that happens, happens in the present moment. Everything that ever happened and will ever happen can only happen in the present moment. It is impossible for anything to exist outside of it.”
In other words, it is focusing on now, just the present moment or even a second. Think of your current breath, current sitting or standing position. What about the things you can see right now?
Check If You Are Living In the Present
Firstly, let's evaluate to what extent you are living in the present moment. Read the statements below and mark how true they are in your case:
- I cannot forgive my wrongdoers.
- I worry about nearly everything in my life.
- I daydream very often.
- I dwell on my accomplishments.
- I always think about my timetable, what is to be done etc.
- I am addicted to something (drinking, caffeine, smoking etc.) and cannot wait to have the next drink, a cup of coffee, fag.
If you totally agree with the statement, mark it as 3 points. If you agree partially, mark it as 1 point. If you disagree, mark it as 0 points. Sum up your score.
- 0 - 6 points -unfortunately, you are not living in the present. Nearly all or all your answers have 1 or 3 points. You will have many challenges to win. However, nothing is lost. This article will help you.
- 7-12 points - your living in the present is on average level. Check the questions with one and three points. Use the tips below in this article to eliminate the challenges.
- 13-18 points - you are focused on the present moment, but check the items with which you agree partially or totally. These will be your challenges to win.
Now check if you focus more on the past or on the future:
- questions 2 and 4 -you are focused on the past and the future
- questions 1 - you are focused on the past
- questions 3, 5 and 6 - you are focused on the future
Living In the Present and Holistic Happiness
It is not only important to live in the present from the mental point of view, used in psychotherapy or counselling. Spiritual life also assumes that time does not exist, only here, in this dimension on the Earth. The past is gone and cannot be changed, although you can learn some lessons and the future has not come yet. but living in the present as positive as you can, being focused on what you want in your life, will enable you to create a wonderful future and close the past.
Therefore, the tips described below can be applied in your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual life. How?
- physical life - by focusing on your body's reactions at a given moment (e.g. breathing, walking, muscle tension),
- mental life - observing your thoughts and the negative ones to the bin (e.g. worry about the future and rumination over the past),
- emotional life - observing your emotions and transforming the negative ones into positive ones,
- spiritual life - meditation.
Why not living in the present by practising meditation? Leave the past and the future behind and focus on your present - overcome challenges and enjoy a happy life.
Let's meditate together
Connect remotely during joint meditation on Saturdays at 8 pm GMT. I will meditate with you and other people then use telepathy. Send your intention to the Universe. Transform your life and the world. Check and join upcoming meditations.
More about meditation:
How To Live In the Present Moment
Now I will give you ten ways which will help you to increase the level of using the power of now. Check what you can do right now.
1. Fully Appreciate the Moments Of Today
Soak in as much of today as you possibly can. Deliberately and fully focus on everything by using all your senses plus all your emotions. Appreciate them.
Each day is full of endless possibilities! Start it with a smile. Firstly, smile to the mirror every time you pass it (in your bathroom or bedroom, for example). Later start smiling at other people. You are in control of your attitude every morning. Therefore, always keep it optimistic and expectant.
3. Stop Worrying And Ruminating
Remember that you cannot fully appreciate today if you worry too much about tomorrow. The truth is that tomorrow is going to happen whether you worry about it or not. Moreover, the worst scenario you are worried about nearly never happens and that it is the present moment that will determine your future. Your worrying thoughts will actually create the event full of negativity and misfortune. Therefore, redirect your mental energy to the things you want in your life.
4. Remove Clutter
Minimalism is trendy now. It forces you to live in the present. You can notice it, especially while packing your bags for a flight to your holiday destination or when moving out. Removing items associated with past memories always frees you up and allows you to stop living in the past. The less of the past in your life, the more you can to live in the moment.
5. Challenge Addictions
Addictions hold you back. They kill your personal freedom and remove your focus from the moment. A moment of ecstasy after taking drugs or having a drink is not worth trouble and is not living in the present. Find help to cope with giving up addictions as soon as possible.
6. Forgive Your Wrongdoers
It is not wise to harbour resentment towards another human being because of past hurts as it will never work. Instead, choose to forgive and move on. The harm was their fault, but it is up to you how long you want to suffer. Let the resentment go as living in the present means no past negativity.
Learn how to create a happy life
7. Review Your Job
Scientists proved that if you just “survived” the workweek constantly waiting for the next weekend “to get here,” you were wasting 71% of your life. they are five of the seven days. And think how much positivity you could have created during that time. If you hate your job, there are two solutions: either finding a new job that you actually enjoy or finding something that you appreciate about your current one.
8. Focus On Solutions, Not Problems
Have you noticed that your world is changing so fast that most of yesterday’s solutions are no longer the right answers today? Hence, never get locked into a that’s how we’ve always done it”. If you do want to use some yesterday's solution, create a solution which will be the present one.
9. Have Big Dreams And Work On Them
10. Appreciate Past Accomplishments
However, never dwell on them too much. Talking much about what you did yesterday causes that you are not doing much today. Have the list of your achievements, but do not focus on them constantly. Remember that there is still plenty of time to build upon past successes and create more memories and achievements for future-you and that in the future, you will be cherishing the memories of today.
In a Nutshell
Today you have learnt ten ways of living in the present. Smile, focus on the present solutions, set achievable goals, stop worrying, declutter your home, forgive past hurts and give up addictions. Good luck